This was something I created as a teenager, back when I was a vegetarian. Now that my daughter doesn’t eat meat, she asks for this dinner several times a week. —Ashlynn Azar, Beaverton, Oregon
- 9 ounces uncooked whole wheat fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-3/4 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in black beans, tomatoes, rosemary and oregano; heat through. Stir in spinach until wilted. Drain fettuccine; add to bean mixture and toss to combine.
1-1/4 cups: 255 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 230mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 9g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.