If the thought of wearing a natural deodorant makes you sweat, we understand. The all-natural versions of the past were stinky and awful and always made us go to the back of our cabinet for the scary antiperspirant spray that could actually stop a speeding bullet. But a new crop of natural deodorants have made converts of even the most dubious among us: And we would know—we tested them all to, um, varying degrees of success. These are our favorites.
For the Person Who Thinks Reapplication Equals Failure
The first thing you must do when switching to a natural deodorant is manage your expectations. They won’t keep you totally dry or stink-free all day long like an antiperspirant would, and they won’t last through a marathon. But while most of the other deodorants on this list work best with a midday reapplication, The Honest Company Honest Deodorant in Bergamot Sage doesn’t need one. Give it a little time to dry before slipping on anything tight. When used on lightly to moderately sweaty days, the tea tree, witch hazel, lemon, aloe, and eucalyptus in this spray-on formula kept our armpits soft and smelling citrusy until we got home.
The Honest Company Honest Deodorant in Bergamot Sage, US$9.99
- Natural • Non-Toxic • Unisex • Ultra Pure • Long-Lasting • Hypoallergenic
- Clean and non-irritating with NO white, sticky, or toxic residues – won’t rub off or stain clothing
- Potent, proprietary anti-odor complex naturally combats odor-causing bacteria
- Bergamot and sage provide a light, refreshing scent – perfectly balanced for men and women alike!
- Unique essential oil blend of organic tea tree, witch hazel, lemon, and eucalyptus neutralizes odors, while beneficial aloe conditions and soothes skin
- Quite expensive
- Does not work for workouts
For the Person Who Has to Speak to the Un General Assembly
We would confidently use Lavanila The Healthy Deodorant in Vanilla Lavender on a day we had a performance review, a meeting with the president, or a first date—that’s how much we trust it. The twist-and-swipe applicator is a comfort, and the creamy formula (with corn starch and essential oils) was the best at keeping sweat under control. But we really love it for the lingering delicate, clean, and slightly powdery scent—basically how we want to smell all the time.
Lavanila The Healthy Deodorant in Vanilla Lavender, US$12.56
- Get superior odor protection with this 100 percent natural
- Freshly scented deodorant
- Soothing essential oils blend with beta-glucan technology fight odor effectively while soothing, conditioning
- Smells like a baby powder
- Re-apply at least once if you want continuous odor protection during warmer weather.
For the Person Who Doesn’t Wear Fragrance
Our first thought when we picked up Nourish Organic Fresh & Dry Deodorant was, Well, this looks familiar. Followed by, Well, this is totally awesome. It’s not only the applicator that we love, either. This formula is in a coconut-oil base, which is known for its antimicrobial and skin-softening properties. It also has cornstarch to keep your pits dry and yeast to prevent odor. The scents can be a little on the fragrant side, so make sure you like them first (we recommend Fresh Fig and Almond Vanilla), since you may need to reapply about halfway through the day.
Nourish Organic Fresh & Dry Deodorant, US$6.93
- Contains 1 – 2.2 ounce Nourish Organic Stick Deodorant
- Provides all-day freshness
- Prevents odor and dries underarm moisture using advanced blend of cornstarch and plant enzymes
- Ultra-nourishing and incredibly gentle on sensitive skin
- Gluten-free, Vegan, USDA Organic, Cruelty-free
- Leave you smelling a bit stinky at the end of the day
- Very gel like & sticky
For the Person Who Is Totally Fine Applying Deodorant With Her FingersSchmidt’s Deodorant in Lavender + Sage
smells so good, we’re calling it aromatherapy. Shea butter makes the formula blend into the skin easily, while baking soda and arrowroot powder keep moisture under control. You do have to scoop out a pea-size dollop from the jar and warm it up in your fingers (OK, that’s not our favorite part), but at least there’s a tiny spatula to make the process a little more civilized.
- All natural – Free of aluminum, phthalates, and parabens
- Available in five fabulous scents
- Packaged in beautiful and sustainable glass jars
- The clean, herbaceous fragrance of Lavender + Sage is tranquil and soothing. Antioxidant and antiseptic properties complement this top-selling deodorant.
- Can be gritty at times
- Packaging is pretty difficult to get the product out
And for the Person Who Does
This gritty paste of Soapwalla Deodorant Cream blends in clear and absorbs quickly, so you won’t have any residue rub off on your clothes (always a plus). The formula of vegetable powders, clay, and essential oil was a favorite among several pregnant Allure editors—it kept them clean and dry on even the most humid summer days.
Soapwalla Deodorant Cream, US$19
- All Natural & Uniquely Powerful Formula
- Utilizes Superfine Vegetable Powders & Clays, As Well As Lavender, Peppermint & Tea Tree Essential Oils To Absorb Moisture, Inhibit Bacteria & Ensure A Long-lasting + Highly Effective Experience!
- Frosting-like Consistency Allows For Easy Manual Application & Rapid Absorption (Ideal For All Skin Types)
- Handcrafted, Aluminum Free, Paraben Free, Cruelty Free + Vegan
- Reapply it at least once a day (more if working out)
- Can sometimes cause staining underarm
For the Person With a Vanity of Precious Little Jars
Erbaviva Organic Deodorant in Jasmine Grapefruit is more inspirational than anything else: We so badly want to be the kind of woman that uses USDA-certified organic deodorant that’s spritzed from an amber glass jar. So the packaging isn’t so kidproof/travelproof/lifeproof, but the blend of essential oils and alcohol and the delicious zesty grapefruit scent kept us stink-free (but not dry) for about five hours before we needed to reapply.
Erbaviva Organic Deodorant in Jasmine Grapefruit, US$7
- Erbaviva employs the highest quality, therapeutic grade essential oils — concentrated essences of flowers, fruits, herbs and plants.
- Free from animal testing, artificial fragrances and dyes.
- Erbaviva’s soaps, oils, and cleansing treatments are pure and gentle enough to begin using on a newborn.
- Applied twice a day
- Scent is not so pleasant
For the Person Who Doesn’t Bug Out About Aluminum
The alcohol- and aluminum-chlorohydrate-free formula of Le Couvent des Minimes Everyday Deodorant still contains alum stone, a compound of aluminum that deodorizes without blocking the sweat ducts (if you’re at all iffy about aluminum, skip this one). The wet, roll-on formula takes a few minutes to dry, but once it does, the essential oils and alum stone kept our smell under control for about half the day.
Le Couvent des Minimes Everyday Deodorant, US$15.50
- Its alcohol-free and aluminum chlorohydrate-free formula helps to combat the development of unpleasant smells and gently purify the skin
- Skin is purified and delicately fragranced with a pleasant, fresh scent
- Perspiration odors are efficiently reduced all day long
- Needing to apply this twice; wears off after a few hours
- Quite expensive
For the Person Who Always Has Fresh Peonies on Her Desk
Dr. Hauschka Deodorant in Rose is a watery, roll-on formula that smells like delicious, expensive roses—so if you don’t like rose, click through to the next one. It’s a little pricey at $24, but the clean, white packaging and fragrance are totally worth it. It’s also great on days you’re wearing a springy, floral perfume. It kept us relatively dry for a few hours, but it really won us over on the odor-protection front. It didn’t just mask it: The essential oils really worked.
Dr. Hauschka Deodorant in Rose, US$14.09
- Truly organic and/or natural skin care products, certified to NATRUE and/or BDIH standards
- Free from synthetic fragrances, dyes and preservatives
- Free from mineral oil, parabens, silicones and PEGs
- Quite pricey
- Doesn’t hold up the whole day
For the Person Who Wants to Believe in Three-Day Protection
Lavilin Roll-on Deodorant is a cult favorite, but even fans will tell you it doesn’t last for the whole 72 hours. Not even close. But it did last almost the whole day—even through a particularly sweaty commute. The scent is floral and powdery, but not totally overpowering. It absorbed quickly, and our clothes stayed residue-free. Though the alcohol-, aluminum-, and paraben-free formula does contain zinc oxide, lactose, and milk protein, should you be sensitive to any of those ingredients.
Lavilin Roll-on Deodorant, US$
- Aluminum free
- Up to 72 hours with a single application
- Does not clog pores
- Suitable for delicate skin
- Bathing, showering, sports and strenuous physical activities do not interfere with Lavilin’s effectiveness